We've had a great response to our survey with over 100 replies, lots of great ideas and commitment to wanting more hockey and social activity - along with things we can do more of or better. Plus we've all the logistics to put in place to field 12- 16 seniors teams a weekend, up to 20 academy teams and the running of the section.
We've a number of ways players, former players, supporters, family, friends and parents can get involved in a small one off activities right through to full committee role. In National Volunteer Week - please take a moment to what you get out of playing hockey at THC and what you could put back in to make it all happen.
Here are some of the areas we need to cover:
1. Men's Club Captain
This is one of the key roles within the section and is the committee member responsible for all the men's teams and the link between the running of the section and the men. The Club Captain therefore has a key role in co-ordination and communication across all men's teams including:
- ensuring that teams have clear objectives - linked to the sections overall aims and strategy to develop men's hockey at THC
- input to the wider section strategy for developing on and off the pitch activities including player/squad development
- co-ordinate communication across the men's teams to / from the section/TSC and co-ordination of men's volunteers to support teams and wider THC activity
- selection is managed in conjunction with coaches and captains and in line with the agreed selection approach and manage priorities
- all league, cup and registration requirements for the men are completed and teams operate within the rules / regulations
- represent the men at league and association AGM's, club disciplinary committee and section committee
- work with the women's club captain, head coach, coaches, hockey development co-ordinator to support the overall coaching and development plan for hockey
This is an exciting time for the men with the 1st playing their first season in the national league and launch of a 7th team - but with this comes the responsibility of making all this happen in a joined up way as part of the overall hockey section.
We'd also be interested from hearing from anyone who may be interested in taking up the role of Vice Club Captain for the Men to support the Club Captain. We'd also love to hear from anyone interested in being Vice Women's Club Captain too !
If interested any of these roles please contact Kieran Jeffery or Shelagh Everett by 16th June 2019
2. Senior Captains and Vice Captains
Jo Robinson (Women's Club Captain) and Kieran Jeffery (Vice Chair) are working through making sure we have captains and vice captains for all teams - 5 women's and 7 men's plus our vets and mixed senior teams. We've a number of slots covered by there are still a number of vacancies - importantly we'd like to get Vice Captains on board to help Captains so the activities can be split and the roles can support each other. Captains can delegate elements of the role across the team and look for new ways to do the role that works best for them - so you don't need to do all the activities yourself !
Captains are core to the running of the senior teams - working with coaches and the club captain to manage selection, meeting the teams objectives, the communication link with teams / players and match day activities, contact with opposition, team sheets, match fee collection and submitting results etc. Umpires, Pitches and Teas are all co-ordinated centrally.
If you're interested in men's. women's, vets or mixed captaincy / vice captaincy roles please contact Kieran of Jo direct to discuss.There will be a captains and vice captains meeting in July to get everything set up for the season before the holiday season and support and guidance given as needed.
3. Team Managers
Senior Teams: Any non players who fancy getting more involved in match days and involved with a team - here's just the role for you ! These are non coaching roles and team manager work with captains on match days to help with sub'ing and match day admin and are very much part of the wider team. Team Managers will work support the Captains and Vice Captains and agree any wider divi'ing up of the jobs !
We're keen to recruit in managers for all teams including those teams that don't have a coach with them on a Saturday - as captains has feedback that this would be really helpful. Please contact Jo or Kieran direct to discuss.
We're also looking for anyone interested in learning the ropes and joining Shelagh Everett and Phil 'Junior' Taylor to support match day team management for both the Men's and Women's 1st teams playing in the National League games (home and away). This involves welcoming and liaising with Match Officials, ensuring all the match day arrangement run in line with EH requirements and supporting the coaching staff and squads. Please contact Shelagh or Junior to discuss if interested.
Parent Manager's for academy teams - if interested in these non coaching administrative support roles for any of our 20 academy teams please contact Nisha Sathi. We'll be finalising these appointments later in summer and running sessions to support those taking up the roles to run through how things work, the logistics and overall child welfare and support information
4. Stewards and Match Day Delegates
We're looking to grow the number of Match Day Stewards (joining our current stalwarts Ruth Evans and Angela George) we have to be on hand to staff the 'gate' on national league match days for the men's and women's home matches (18 home games this season). This is a requirement of the league rules and an important role in welcoming our spectators, fund-raising and supporting any match day matters. Men's matches will be on Sunday and Saturday and the Women's mainly on Saturdays. Contact Shelagh Everett if interested - match day refreshments and training provided !
With both the Men's and Women's 2nd XI's now in the North Hockey League both will need a Match Official for Home games to support the Umpires as needed (timing sending off's, managing subs) and complete the match information sheets, timing of goals, cards etc. We've 22 home games to cover so contact Jo Robinson or Kieran Jeffery if interested in getting involved
5. Other opportunities
Over the next few weeks we'll be sharing more details of a range of opportunities and ways to support the section. Please contact Shelagh, Jo, Kieran or Nisha is interested or you'd like to find out more. Roles include:
- Academy Coaching on Sunday mornings (we'll also fund attending any EH coaching modules to help develop your skills)
- Umpiring - the more we have the less umpiring everyone has to do ! (we'll also refund EH course fees and support your development)
- Volunteer Co-ordinator - to help support and co-ordinate our volunteers
- Communications (team, senior/academy and overall section comms / website)
- Events / Social Group - for academy events and senior events
- Fundraising Group - for academy, senior or section wide to support Project 18 (TSC Development) and Hockey
...So don't leave it to others take the plunge and get involved next season and be part of something special to support and help us keep take forward our guiding principles of ... #OneClub #GreatHockeyClub and #GreatMatchDays
Updated 01:39 - 7 Jun 2019 by Shelagh Entwisle