Let's close off the 2017 - 18 season as a #hockeyfamily on Sunday 13th May at our #OneClubDay and enjoy one final hurrah as we celebrate the end of the season, reflect on the past 12 months, savour the moment at our academy presentations, play some hockey and recognise and thank those that make it all possible. Do come along if you can and make it a special day. See the full details Details for Sunday 13th May #OneClubDay
Sadly only 30 people have replied to the doodle poll to play in the Mixed 7's from 2pm - if you haven't replied and fancy coming down for some social hockey please reply asap - yes you can turn up if you want to on the day but by not letting us know you just add more stress to the orgainsers day to sort teams and orders of play and this eats into the playing time. So take a moment and just reply if you fancy it to make the day be enjoyable for all (including the organisers !) by helping us sort the logistics in advance !
Your Hockey Club Needs You ?
This weekends Academy Presentations and main Section AGM are very special as they are the time to acknowledge and say thank you to all our volunteers - whatever their role. We are very fortunate to have so many people who give their time, energy and passion to make hockey happen at Timperley - but they will all tell you if we had a few more folks on board be it helping in the smallest way to taking on a formal role it would make a big difference to them ! So with the new season looming here's how you could get involved and help !
This week we focus on some of the many roles we need to undertake to make all the thousands of hours hockey a year happen ! Have a look at the Academy and Senior activities available and dig deep, look in the mirror and make that small step to say 'I could help with that' and have a think of the consequences if everyone said they were too busy !
Academy - ways to support us and get involved
We're reviewing how we organise things over the summer, including spec'ing our the main roles to help those lending a hand to understand the role and have access to the information and support material to do the role. If you're interested in getting involved please let Nisha Sathi know and if you've any particular areas your interested in. We'll then be sorting out allocating people to the roles over the summer and holding pre-season briefing sessions.
Here's some ways you could get involved and help the academy include:
- each team needs a parent manager so that's 16 - 20 roles depending on numbers
- we need a large pool of coaches for Sunday morning and we hope more players from our higher teams will get involved too next season as well as parents and other current and former players
- coaches are also allocated to our 16 - 20 teams
- young leaders
- being a team / age group website administrator, updating the team area with match reports, photos and other news and communications
- volunteering to join the rota to do registration on a Sunday morning or Tuesday evening
- Joining Steph Ashworth as a Child Welfare Officer and it would be great to get a male on board to work with Steph on this - training is provided
- helping put out the goals out and away after games and if last game on locking the astro up !
- volunteering to share lifts and transport with other parents especially when your child starts to play senior hockey
- organising social events or fund-raising including the Christmas Festivities
- helping to promote the club and sell sponsorship and pitch side banner advertising
- Academy fixture and pitches requirements co-ordinator (across all academy teams) to work with the seniors and club to make sure everything is joined up (ideal if you like spreadsheets and chess !)
Senior Hockey - ways to support us and get involved !
We will be electing the core roles on the Hockey Committee at the AGM on Sunday - this is so we can function as a section and keep the wheels moving over the summer both for hockey and as part of Timperley Sports Club. There are lots of other roles and ways to get involved that will be finalised over the summer and as with the academy we want to help those stepping forward by fleshing out some guidance on the roles. So we are rally keen to hear from anyone whose is interested please contact any of the current or new committee. We'd like to thank those people who indicated in the survey that they'd like to help - we just cant identify you all as the survey was anonymous ! So please get in touch.
Committee Roles - for election at the Hockey AGM
(see nomination notice on Hockey Noticeboard in the entrance to the club)
Role Current Holder
Chair Shelagh Entwisle*
Vice Chair Vacancy (this role should be a male or female if a male chair)
Secretary Rob Judd*
Treasurer Malcolm Tucker*
Women's Club Captain Helen Cue*
Men's Club Captain Kieran Jeffrey*
Academy Co-ordinator Nisha Sathi*
Development Co-ord Caroline Small*
Sponsorship/Mkt Co-ord Jackie Lord*
*prepared to stand for another term of office
Individuals wishing to stand for these posts need to be nominated and seconded by a Hockey Member and voted in by the AGM. if more than one nominee we will review options with the individuals and if necessary run a secret ballot at the AGM.
If you are interested in standing for one of the above roles please contact Rob Judd, Secretary or mail email@example.com asap or speak to any other member of the current committee.
Other ways to get involved
- coaching at the Academy on Sundays or Tuesday - and coaching a team or supporting senior coaching and GK coaching
- captains for our 11 league teams, plus vets and mixed teams. Next season we are aiming to reintroduce vice captains to give support to the captain and help spread the load - this could be on a co-captain basis too. For the highest teams the Coaches will work with the squads to identify captains
- team managers for all level of team
- membership / subs and database - good eye for detail
- Fixture and Pitch Secretary - for senior fixtures (league, EH and friendlies) and integrating the academy fixtures too - one for a logistics lover with a keen eye for detail and excel !
- Umpire Co-ordinator, many of the same skills as Fixture Secretary with a large dollop of influencing and a reasonable grasp of the geography of the North West !
- team website admins and comms people to update match reports, results, and bring each team area to life
- volunteers to organise are 'big' cross club social events and smaller events
- organisers to run fund-raising tournaments and summer league (ideal opportunities to learn the ropes this summer working with Cath Thompson and Will Tobin !
- match day sponsorship sales and posters, comms and promotion
- sales and promotion and bringing in sponsorship, pitch side banner advertising and any new ideas
- external comms, PR and marketing
- internal club communications
- Clubmark Co-ordinator to update all our policies and documentation as part of our re-accreditation
- Storeroom, kit and equipment master and enforcer ! Great for those that love tidy spaces and stuff put away in the right place and an eye for saving us money
- taking on a role in your team, match fee monitor, kit controller, website admin or king or queen of getting the goals out and putting them away !
- match day stewards for IWHL games
- Technical Delegate for games requiring one (mainly Men's 1's)
- and any other way you feel you can help the section !
There really is something for everyone so have a think, self reflect and talk a small step to making a difference next season ! Do get in touch for more details or if interested or have any other ideas
We look forward to seeing as many of you as possible on Sunday .
2018-19 Season kicks off next week !
Don't forget Summer League starts next week! A massive thank you to Jackie Lord who has lead on the marketing and getting the teams signed up. We have 18 teams on a Tuesday for the ladies league and 12 teams on a Wednesday for the men's league. Jackie has handed over the weekly management of the league to Will Tobin for the men's league and Kath Thompson for the ladies league. Another huge thank you to them for taking one running the leagues on the ground - so why not sign up to help for one week or more over the summer on the organisers table, collecting the money or umpiring. Be part of our biggest fund-raiser of the year and come down and play some hockey over the next 10 weeks !
.....and finally, this weeks two big news items !
Whilst we are waiting for the official confirmation we have had confirmation this week (unofficially from NWHL) that two teams will be promoted from NWHL Division 3 (S) based on play's off. So a HUGE congratulations to the Men's 2's on securing promotion to Division 2 for next season. Well done to Mark Worsley, Nigel Stanhope, Captain Josh Hughes and all the players. A great personal achievement for the squad and a big step forward for the club. Well done guys !
Plus no news yet on the arrival of our Men's Club Captain Keiran and Nat's baby No.2 ! We hope all goes well and have instructed KJ that he is not to phone into or skype the AGM, or even worse think he can nip back to the club to do his report without Nat noticing he's left the building should thing progress on Sunday !
We also wish Colin Taylor and Helen Cue all the best this weekend playing for the North Over 55 Masters in the Men's and Women's Regional Championships and all the other vets playing for the North over the next few weekends, Shelagh, Woody and Imps.
Updated 22:44 - 23 May 2018 by Shelagh Entwisle