Well....after the most amazing weekend celebrating our double promotions for Men's 1 and Men's 2's and League title the Men's 2's its almost back to normal as we start another hockey weekend ! There's still lots happening hockey wise and at the club over the spring and summer months so stay in touch via Pitchero/website, facebook, Twitter and Instagram @timperleyhockey
If you missed it here's out double delight News piece from earlier in the week http://www.timperleyhockeyclub.com/news/weve-only-gone-and-done-it-double-delight-on-final-2412154.html
Find out more about the story behind this weeks photo at the end of this weeks update !
We also said farewell to Akeem on Monday as he returned to University in Barbados - and thank him for his contribution to THC and especially the two rocket propelled drag flicks he rattled in from penalty corners to seal the promotion victory v Didsbury Northern. These two beauties took Akeem to an amazing 29 goal haul for the league season.
Saturday League hockey may be taking a break but there's plenty on this Sunday to folks from across the whole of our #hockeyfamily entertained here's the line up for Sunday 7th April ....
- Manchester Marathon Day so there will be NO ACCESS TO THE CLUB for vehiclesR until later in the day unless you're involved in the Vets and have been booked in to gain limited access from Wood Lane. The Club will be busy as we host a relay change over point
- NO ACADEMY TRAINING - we're taking a break this week and will be back academy hockey next Sunday 13th April
- MEN'S ANNUAL VETS TOURNAMENT - come down to the club and catch up with old friends,support the teams and enjoy a good day's hockey. Big thanks to Colin Taylor for again running the first our hockey section fund-raising tournaments for 2019
- Under 10 Boys, EH NORTH FINALS at Leeds University - a grat day out for our young players,coaches and families with some amazing skills and talents on show. We wish the lads all the best for a great days hockey
- Under 16 Boys, EH Tier 2 Area Finals, The older lads hit the M6 and head to Stone Hockey Club for this years area finals and we look forward to them taking forward a great season having come on so much with coach Akeem who unfortunately is missing the area finals as he's now back in Barbados
- it's one game from Lee Valley for the Mixed XI as they head off to Oxton for their EH Tier 1 Quarter Final - there's lots to play for as both the Semi Final and Finals are both down at the home of hockey. This is one of EH's larger entry competitions so getting to the last eight is a great achievement
Off the pitch we are down to the last ticket being available for the 2019 Hockey Dinner - contact Shelagh on 07810 854197 if you want to get your hands or it or want to go on the waiting list !
Tickets for the Only Fools .....dining experience in June are selling well so if you want to go along, especially for the Saturday Night get your ticket from the bar, or follow the on line ticket sales link in the previous news item
Don't forget the end of season internal club Mixed 7's and hockey AGM on 11th May
Men's and Ladies Summer league starts on 14th and 15th May and bookings are going really well with lots of interest from clubs wanting to join in the the social hockey at Stockport Road over the warm sunny evenings. Thank to Jackie Lord for being overall co-ordinator and getting everything in train. Ladies - you should have received a communication from Jo Robinson,Club Captain explaining how the ladies will be organising the Timperley Teams.Make sure you update your availability on Pitchero under the new team 'THC Ladies Summer League'...... For the gents I'm sure once he's recovered from his honeymoon that Kieran J will let you know how the Men plan to sort their teams.
Other tournament .....The date for the Men's lower divisions tournaments is being finalised, the Ladies Vets 7's is on Saturday 8th June and we will be confirming the date of the Mixed 7's tournament soon too. All raise valuable funds that fund hockey throughout the year at THC, plus they are great hockey days out (usually in the sun!) . If you'd like to organise the Mixed 7's Tournament in later June / early July please contact Shelagh E or your captain to pass the message on.
Fund-raising for the British Heart Foundation - big shout out for the Men's 1s who are taking on the BHF Three Yorkshire Peaks challenge on 6th July in memory of Kwasi. Help them smash their fundraising for BHF £1000 target - find out more about the challenge and how to donate http://www.timperleyhockeyclub.com/news/mens-1s-take-on-three-yorkshire-peaks-fund-raising-2414263.html
and finally here's the tale of this weeks photo....
This week's photo captures what I feel hockey's all about at the Club with three little boys playing on the opening day of the Blue pitch way back in 2006 and proud to wear blue. Joined a couple of years later by Ben #3 with side kick Jack they're built a friendship build on the love of hockey and being part of the club.
9 years ago this weekend the Ben's won the North U10 finals and were then part of the Under 14 Boys team who were the first team in the club's history to reach a national final. Then they all made their 1st team debuts and played in our first every Indoor final as at club in the U18. On Saturday their dream came true as THC won promotion to the National League and they were part of it still wearing blue.
There have been many tears, tantrums, cards, goals and two got England U16 caps along the way but at the heart of all the up's and downs has been the love of Club Hockey and what it means to be part of a club. The Ben's may be off to University and to play elsewhere but they will always have Timperley in their hearts and we hope the love of hockey. We hope their story will show our young players,especially those off to Leeds for the Under 10's finals, what playing hockey with your mates for a small lifetime, training hard and picking yourself up after sets backs can lead to and why the most important thing is having a passion for the game whichever team you play with and whatever the results. A few adults may learn from this too !
The promotion is the icing on the cake - but what's just as important is being part of a hockey family and a club where all ages and abilities can hit the turf and enjoy the sport. That's why it was so special to have some many former and current members in the Clubhouse on Saturday night celebrating this season achievements. People make a club not promotions - so long live club hockey and all it means to all players of all ages and abilities !
So here's to another super Hockey Sunday and we wish all teams all the best for their matches and look out for our 2018/19 Season THC Survey that will be out next week for you to let us you know your thoughts on the season gone and ideas and suggestions for the future.
Updated 01:09 - 6 Apr 2019 by Shelagh Entwisle