Proper club day !
Our National League 'season opener' day showcased what it means to be part of THC on and off the pitch - and Saturday had all the elements that go in the mix when people from across the #hockeyfamily as a 'proper hockey club' ! Well, thanks to everyone who came down, supported, helped, played, umpired and tried to follow what goes going on at the bingo take a bow because you helped us have a very special day at the club!
Some highlights from the weekend:
- eight home games for the first time and our first Men's National League and Saturday Evening Hockey game v Alderley Edge. The result wasn't what the Men's 1 had hoped for but there took a lot of positives and learning out of the game and are raring to go this weekend.
- an opening win for the Ladies 1 v Alderley Edge winning 2-1 showing cool heads and letting the hard work of pre-season combine with IWHL experience to to bring home the 3 points
- a really homely opening for the new floodlights with Nick Burnett, TSC Club President steering us through the proceedings that has generated positive media coverage for the club that all helps keep TSC and THC on the map and build awareness as we look to raise funds for future development of the club. Altrincham Today, News4Trafford
- amazing support for both 1's games with 115 watching the women (50% higher than the average last season)and 202 watching the late Men's game. If you've played in the day (home or away) you can watch the first 1's game for free. The fee for spectators and the late EHL game is just £2 for 18+ (free for U18's) so do come along, programmes and raffle included !
- Janet Wood was back with her infamous cakes stall and raised an amazing £111 and combined with the gate money and surplus from the bingo night helped us raise £500 towards hockey's share of the floodlights
- in our 'Buy bulb' fund-raiser 5 out of 8 floodlight towers have been snapped up and 5 out of 28 lamps with £1750 pledged towards hockey's share of the lights. Combined this has helped raise a whooping £2,350 over the weekend towards the lights leaving hockey £2,450 to raise
- experienced one of those bonkers socials where everyone there had a great time even if they cant quite remember much about it. It was great have families down too and to have found a home at the Nicholson household for the giant inflatable ride on unicorn !
- bumper bar take and lots of top shelf bottles emptied !
We go again this weekend with another 8 match Saturday, Ladies 1s at 14:15 v Cannock and the Men play Lichfield in the 18:00 slot o come down and be the 12th player to support the lads getting their first EHL goals and three points in the bag !
Other news from THC
Just as important as the lights and the 1's is helping the club grow and accommodate more players. Our fledgling Men's 7 side had to regrettably concede last weeks game due to lack of numbers - thanks to a huge amount of work, chasing and cajoling we've got a team out this week to play Bowdon 7's at home which is really important to try and buy the time we need to attract in additional players. We need all the help we can get spreading the word to attract new players - at all levels to help bolster numbers across all teams. The ladies have also struggled this week as availability continues to be a challenge. Help spread the work https://www.timperleyhockeyclub.com/news/calling-all-former-and-aspiring-mens-hockey-players-we-need-you-and-now--2471905.html. If we concede 3 games the team has to pull out of the league so we are on borrowed time to improve availability and or recruit more players, Any Academy parents who fancy playing please contact Nisha, Ahmed (7's Captain), Rory Gibson (6's captain) or Steve Hallmark (5's captain) this weekend.
As well as training for four hours a week, personal fitness and playing our 1s squads have also been busy signing up sponsors to help fund-raising and the target we have set both squads to raise this season to help fund the cost of performing at this level. The league entry fee for each team is £1850 ! Thank you to Connor Miller for getting Juniper Hale on board as a sponsor and Dave H, James B, Wez, William, Luke, Leonnie, Cribbo and Alice W who has all signed up player sponsors. All funds raised got into the fund-raising pot for the season - not to the players ! Welcome to our most recent player sponsor Mr David Litt - see this weeks programme to see who Litty's sponsoring !
Hockey Paper - we now subscribe to the print version of what a cracking read of any hockey badgers out there, or anyone who wants to find out more about whats going on in the world of hockey and at other clubs. See copies on the hockey noticeboard.
Video Analysis is a major part of helping the 1s squads reflect and learn from their performances. After a range of Heath Robinson solutions and borrowing kit we've bitten the bullet and bought for the section a new 6m master and camera that should be in action this weekend. This frees up the older camera and small tripod for other coaches to use and for the Academy to use. If anyone is interested in operating the new kit (which is very easy to use by all accounts!) and helping film games please let Mark Talbot or Shelagh know. Training can be provided !
TSC Membership Forms - we are hoping everyone has now paid their subs or been in touch. If not, you need to act now, complete the relevant attached form and drop off behind the bar, or pick up a paper copy to complete from the club. ! We are also going to be chasing subs and forms and any combination in-between !
Try before you buy! Eighteen hockey are our Match Day Sponsors this Saturday and will be at the club from 12noon with a range of demo sticks and hockey stash to buy. Do pop along to have a look and supplort this new business. Sisters, Jo and Kate who have set up eighteen hockey have also donated a stick to the 1's spectator raffle and are donating a gift the the Player of the Match for each of the eight Timperley sides playing at home - so once you've picked your MOM / Player of Match captains should take them to see Jo and Kate on their stand by the pitch gates !
Final shout out this week is early warning that our next deadline for made to order / bespoke Silver FX branded THC kit is on 14th October ready for delivery early December. Dont forget we have more items now for express delivery including a well priced soft shell jacket THC on line Silver FX Shop...and now the weather is a bit chillier the THC bobble hats will bbe arriving in the next 7-10 days. Look out for more details in the news piece on kits coming out next week.
Lets get another bumper crowd down for the.....
- Ladies 1 v Cannock 14:15
- Men's 1 v Lichfield 18:00